Truth or Myth?

24 Sep 2009  4 Comments

beer-flood-456bb072808_001 

A beer flood in 1814 killed nine people. Continue reading to find out if this and other myths are true or fabrication.

Its true believe it or not! On Oct. 17, 1814, a ruptured tank at the Meux and Company Brewery unleashed more than 3,500 barrels of beer onto the streets of London, creating a wave of beer that knocked down walls, flooded basements and demolished houses. Eight people drowned. The ninth died of alcohol poisoning, after attempting to stop the flood by drinking the beer.

A man was killed by an exploding lava lamp.
lava_lamp_02 
It is True. In 2004, a 24-year-old man was found dead in his trailer home in Kent, Wash., with shards of glass from a lava lamp embedded in his chest — one of which had pierced his heart. He had apparently been watching the lamp as it heated up on the stove when it exploded. Why was he heating his lava lamp on the stove? The answer to that question, sadly, died with the victim.
 
A woman died on her wedding day after multiple tanning salon visits damaged her internal organs.
tanning_bed_3
A woman did not die on her wedding day after multiple tanning salon visits damaged her internal organs. Variations of this cautionary tale have circulated by e-mail for several years. A young woman wants to look good for her wedding or other formal event, but is told at the tanning salon that she is limited to 30 minutes a day. Eager to achieve a “healthy glow” in time for the big day, she visits every tanning parlor in town over the next few days, maxing out her time at each one. At or soon after the event, the woman emits a foul odor and/or dies, and it is discovered that she has essentially cooked or microwaved her internal organs. While tanning, either naturally or on a tanning bed, can cause skin cancer or eye damage, it cannot harm your organs. UV rays and microwaves are two different things, and UV rays cannot cook you from the inside out.
 
A man died after playing video games nonstop for more than 24 hours.
there-are-chances-to-become-video-game-addict-says-study
Have fear video gamers. In fact, several men have died after marathon video-game sessions, particularly in 24-hour cybercafés that are popular gaming venues in Asian countries. In South Korea, a 24-year-old man died of exhaustion after playing for 86 straight hours in 2002; and a 28-year-old man who had recently lost his job because he spent too much time playing Starcraft died of heart failure in 2005 after a 50-hour session. A 27-year-old Taiwanese man reportedly passed away in 2002 after playing video games for 32 hours, and in 2007, a man fainted in a Chinese cybercafé after three straight days of gaming. Perhaps these cybercafés should impose a time limit.
 
LifeSavers candy was invented by a man whose daughter died choking on a mint. The hole in the middle allows you to breathe, even if it gets stuck in your throat.
lifesavers3
Would have made a great story, but its not true. LifeSavers were invented in 1912 by Clarence Crane, a Cleveland-area chocolatier who was looking for a candy that wouldn’t melt in the summertime. The original LifeSavers were peppermint flavored and marketed as breath mints — and it was the shape that inspired the name, rather than the other way around. Ironically, one of Crane’s children did meet a tragic fate well after the candy was invented: his 32-year-old son, Hart, died in 1932 when he leapt into the Caribbean from the stern of an ocean liner and drowned
 link

About the Author
  • e7mood

    1814 !! kanaw efakroon walah

  • DMQ

    Interesting. I like the tanning bed story.

  • http://www.zdistrict.com Marzouq

    Those kegs are lethal weapons! They look heavy as hell!

    I gamed for 24 hrs.. and I’m alive and kicking!!!

  • http://uptill1.com N

    I once gamed for 40+ hrs during a weekend.
    I’m alive, but not so sure about the kicking part. :)

UpTillOne

Horizon Travel

Al-Falah Car Wash

UpTillOne

UpTillOne

UpTillOne

UpTillOne
Copyright © 2013 Up Till One. All Rights Reserved.